Friday, June 30, 2006

Radiohead @ The Greek Theater, Los Angeles

If one were to look at my record collection or browse my iTunes, one might think I was a big Radiohead fan. I have all their records and a handful of bootlegs and live stuff. I think they are incredible, but actually had only seen them once that was many many years ago after Pablo Honey came out. I had another opportunity to see them a couple years back at the Field Day Fest, but the show got cancelled and rescheduled to Giants Stadium. I chose not to go as I didn't really want to make the trek to New Jersey.

So, basically, last night was my first time seeing the band. I hadn't been following the setlists, so I didn't really know what to expect. We arrived at the Greek Theater a bit late and missed openers Deerhoof. The people around me were not impressed.

Right before the show began, I was approached by a man named Michael who quickly told me that he snuck in to the show and was roaming around looking for an open seat. He ended up sitting next to me for a while and right before the lights went down said, "I saw these guys at the Hollywood Bowl in 2001 and it changed my entire concert going experience. I vowed never to see Phish again."

If that's not a glowing endorsement, I don't know what is. The show began and the entire audience was taken aback. First of all, the sound at the Greek is incredible. Even with my seats way in the back, I could hear Thom's voice beautifully and heard every bleep and bop like it was meant to be. With each new song (there were 7!) the crowd was enthusiastic and excited to hear the new material. Many of the new songs have been on YouTube or floating around the internet for sometime, but Thom Yorke said it best when he said: "This is another song you don't know. And if you do, you are cooler than everyone else."

The highlight of the show for me was the fact that they played more than half of Kid A and a great live song "Follow Me Around". "Follow Me Around" has been in their setlists for years, but have never recorded it. It sounded absolutely beautiful last night.

While many people may disagree with me, I still believe that these guys are the best band in the world and last night played like it. If you have the funds to beg and plead and buy tickets tonight, do it. It will be worth every penny.

Setlist:
1 You And Whose Army?
2 The National Anthem
3 2+2=5
4 15 Step*
5 Morning Bell
6 Arpeggi*
7 Videotape*
8 Kid A
9 Dollars And Cents
10 Street Spirit
11 All I Need*
12 Nude
13 Paranoid Android
14 Bangers 'n Mash*
15 The Gloaming
16 Idioteque
17 Follow Me Around
18 Everything In Its Right Place

Encore 1
19 There There
20 Down Is The New Up*
21 The Bends
22 How To Disappear Completely

Encore 2
23 House of Cards*
24 Lucky

(Songs with * are new songs)

6 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

hey i definitely agree with you on that one! easily the biggest and best band in the word right now. and i cant even think of someone that comes close.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

i see we went to the same show. it was glorious.

4:31 AM  
Anonymous chase said...

I rarely see arena-sized shows because I rarely can afford it. But I managed free 15th row tickets on the last RH tour, & I was blown away. I was already a huge fan - just didn't buy tix b/c of the $. Knowing now how unbelievable they are live? They're worth saving up for.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that most players use fiesta Gold to get a shiny cool weapon like other players in game. To enhance something, you need enhance stones with fiesta money, and a piece of equipment that you wish to enhance. The process of enhancing is simple if you have fiesta online gold. You can buy fiesta Gold after clicking enhance, you will see a star rotating about like roulette. The equipment will be enhanced to the next level if you have more fiesta online money.

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Microsoft Office 2007 said...

NEVERTHELESS, THE CIVIL LAW is and must be neutral about who has a more noble or rewarding faith. The breakaway parishes ought to win every Office 2010facet of the lawsuit not becauseMicrosoft Office 2010 their beliefs or their politics are better, Microsoft wordbut because both lawOffice 2007and equity, along with common sense, are on Microsoft Officetheir side.Microsoft Office 2007 Not only does Virginia state law (the Division Statute)Office 2007 keyexplicitly apply to just such a Office 2007 downloadsituation as now exists, but the history Office 2007 Professionalespecially of The Falls Church argues against the claims of Outlook 2010the Virginia Diocese with which theyMicrosoft outlookhave disassociated.Microsoft outlook 2010First, The Falls Church wasWindows 7 founded, formed, and developed long before the diocese, or the national Episcopal Church, even existed.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Angela Dixon said...

Nice post! Can’t wait for the next one. Keep stuff like this coming.

Asus - N55SL-DS71 15.6" LED Notebook - Intel Core i7 i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz - Black

Asus - 11.6"ZENBOOK Ultrabook 4 GB Memory and 128 GB Solid State Drive - Aluminum Silver

Asus - 13.3" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive - Hot Pink

Asus - 11.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive - Radiant Silver

Asus - 15.6" Notebook 8 GB Memory - 500 GB Hard Drive - Black

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home