Friday, June 23, 2006

From the schoolhouse

The walls are bare. My voice sounds louder now that the sound is no longer muffled by colorful charts and pictures. Boxes are packed full with markers, crayons, and various knick knacks. Cubbies were emptied of folders, journals, and workbooks. Families will probably cringe at the sight of all of the random items that their children will magically pull out of their bookbags. Old markers, random charts, flash cards, and books that are losing their spines. To the undiscerning eye it is trash that will end up in the trash can one day. However, to a child who is beginning their first day of summer vacation, these random items equal a year's worth of learning, exploration, struggle, and achievement. And though these things will eventually find themselves tucked under beds, lost in closets and boxes, for now these things are reminders of what has past and what lies ahead.

This was my last day in the classroom. I am content with that; however, it is always difficult to leave something that has been such a staple in one's life. My co-teacher Katie and my students made a video with my students sharing what they enjoyed about being in our classroom this year. The most memorable moment was when the classroom broke into song at the end of film. Their voices sound lovely layered over Leslie Feist's voice when they sing "Mushaboom" together. I have to admit that I cried. Shamelessly. That moment made me realize that even when I thought that no one was learning, my students internalized such a deep respect for themselves, their peers, and their teachers. Today was a sweet end to many difficult days and a multitude of successes to be proud of. Thank you to all the kids in 2-Blue. And thank you, Katie, for making this year better than good.

To my kids...
Bears: Goodbye Song

And a few second grade favorites...
The Decemberists:
July, July
John Denver: Country RoadsFeist: Mushaboom

* * * * * *
Unfortunately, I will be without a computer for a few days. I'm also moving to Queens for the summer. I have a summer job "teaching teachers how to teach." That line used to slay the second graders. So funny, so funny. However, what's not so funny is that I won't be able to post for a few days. I will when I can (fingers crossed). Hopefully, I will find a friend or two to help out at Indie Don't Dance, so stayed tuned.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Nice story. My old gran, the East End 1st grade teacher, would have really liked to have read that sipping her after school gin and tonic.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Katie said...

I held out yesterday, but this brought on the flood of tears. It was a good last day. As Johnny said, "Next year I'll miss Ms. Bridges."
I already do.

12:15 PM  
Blogger this is what i know. said...

what an adorable story. i bet that version of mushaboom is priceless.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a new eve isk player has just entered EVE spend, their first month of life is important. First of all, realize the eve online isk is useful to the each new player. You only play with others and buy isk can get happy from the game. After learned at the Eve world, you may found the cheap eve isk. However, buy eve online isk can also save a lot your time.

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Microsoft Office 2007 said...

NEVERTHELESS, THE CIVIL LAW is and must be neutral about who has a more noble or rewarding faith. The breakaway parishes ought to win every Office 2010facet of the lawsuit not becauseMicrosoft Office 2010 their beliefs or their politics are better, Microsoft wordbut because both lawOffice 2007and equity, along with common sense, are on Microsoft Officetheir side.Microsoft Office 2007 Not only does Virginia state law (the Division Statute)Office 2007 keyexplicitly apply to just such a Office 2007 downloadsituation as now exists, but the history Office 2007 Professionalespecially of The Falls Church argues against the claims of Outlook 2010the Virginia Diocese with which theyMicrosoft outlookhave disassociated.Microsoft outlook 2010First, The Falls Church wasWindows 7 founded, formed, and developed long before the diocese, or the national Episcopal Church, even existed.

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home