Friday, May 26, 2006

The Long Winters: Putting the Days to Bed

I am a great second grade teacher. Really, I am. But not much of an album reviewer. However, I'm going to give it a shot because the upcoming release from The Long Winters has been making me absolutely giddy.

If last year's release of the Ultimatum EP was John Roderick's idea of a light tickle in the ribs, then Putting the Days to Bed is a well-rounded album of bliss. Putting the Days to Bed opens with the melodic and crisp guitar driven track "Pushover." This song features the elements that make a track by the Long Winters stand out: witty, intimate lyrics, layered harmonies, and a smart pop hooks. Three songs in, the album hits a high moment for me on "Teaspoon." Rollicking horns push this song forward and although I'm not quite sure what the song is about, I find myself singing along. "The Sky Is Open" is a little rockier while "Honest" has the sprinkling of a country tune over jangling bells.

Yes: in a little under 40 minutes, this album put a smile on my face. Although each song doesn't break new ground, the album does neatly deliver everything that I like about The Long Winters. The harmonies, the sometimes overly shiny-happy perspective on life, and the lyrics that seem so simple but sometimes lose me in the twisted metaphors.

The Long Winters: Pushover

Putting the Days to Bed will be released on July 25, but you can pre-order it from Barsuk Records.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you'll be happy to know that John Roderick has stated many times that he hates when people just stand there at his shows. He even calls people out on it sometimes. He'd love it if you danced.

Screw indie taboos. Seriously. I always move.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never seen the Long Winters live, though I'd love to.
And this album is much too happy and joyous to NOT dance too, I'm sorry.
Maybe I'm not indie, but I would TOTALLY dance to this. <3

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Microsoft Office 2007 said...

NEVERTHELESS, THE CIVIL LAW is and must be neutral about who has a more noble or rewarding faith. The breakaway parishes ought to win every Office 2010facet of the lawsuit not becauseMicrosoft Office 2010 their beliefs or their politics are better, Microsoft wordbut because both lawOffice 2007and equity, along with common sense, are on Microsoft Officetheir side.Microsoft Office 2007 Not only does Virginia state law (the Division Statute)Office 2007 keyexplicitly apply to just such a Office 2007 downloadsituation as now exists, but the history Office 2007 Professionalespecially of The Falls Church argues against the claims of Outlook 2010the Virginia Diocese with which theyMicrosoft outlookhave disassociated.Microsoft outlook 2010First, The Falls Church wasWindows 7 founded, formed, and developed long before the diocese, or the national Episcopal Church, even existed.

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home