Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Mercy, Me

Katie and I saw What Made Milwaukee Famous last night at Pianos. After the show, Katie said dreamily, "I could never buy their CD; I could only see this band live. Or else I would have to kick everyone out of my apartment, and play my stereo really loud so I could dance by myself." That's Katie's roundabout way of saying, "Sorry, Colin, but I want WMMF to be my new collective boyfriend."

WMMF not only charmed the pants off Katie, but also the small audience in attendance. I think what makes WMMF so good is their eclectic sound and the energy they bring to each song. Last night wasn't as, let's say, polished as their Saturday show at Southpaw; however, the mix-ups brought out a lot of the band's personality. There was a mid-song mic change, a restart to a song, and shoddy sound plauged the set througout the night. The boys from Austin joked through the awkwardness and still put on a good show. Michael's and Drew's vocals were lovely (although muffled), Jeremy craked jokes, and Jon bounced around stage, swinging his bass. All in all, the show was good. Plus, Drew sports a sweatband like no other.

Tonight, WMMF plays their last New York show at Mercury Lounge. Try to catch them before they go!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Katie said...

I think I may have changed my mind about not being able to buy the CD... I've been listening to some of WMMF's songs on and off today, and while my computer doesn't do them justice, they're still really good.

11:58 PM  
Blogger indie don't dance said...

I knew you would come around.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home