Saturday, February 18, 2006

Paper Airplanes & Emma Burgess & My Sister & the Box in the Basement

Paper Airplanes...


Dave likes to post and post about Paper Airplanes. I followed his advice and checked out some of the band's music. Now I also have to agree: Paper Airplanes is one of the best underrated bands out there. "The Fences" begins quietly and swells until it bursts into an arrangement of crashing symbols and competing guitars. It's lovely.
Buy their album Boyhood from Interpunk.

Emma Burgess...

Los Angeles singer-songwriter Emma Burgess writes pretty music. I don't know much about her, but I think these tracks are worth a listen... or two, or three.
Visit Emma Burgess's MySpace page.

My sister...
My sister and I have very different tastes in music, and rarely do we find a band let alone a song that we both like. However, she played the track "Unwritten" by British popstress Natasha Bedingfield, and I can't get out of my head. It's nothing but sugar. It makes your teeth hurt. But I find myself going back for more. I think it's the gospel choir at the end. Gospel choirs and cow bells are selling points. Who knows why.
Does he like butter tarts...
When I was home in December, I found a box of my old CDs from high school and college. Some albums were embarassingly bad and need to be destroyed (umm... Temple of the Dog, anyone?) , and others were just great... even if some border on embarassing and/or bad. I posted a few tracks from some the albums in the box.

New Radicals: Give What You Give
Len: Steal My Sunshine
Buffalo Tom: Soda JerkLetters to Cleo: Here and Now
Love Spit Love: Am I Wrong
Jeff Buckley: Last Kiss Goodbye
Jawbox: Cooling Card
Jayhawks: Blue
Superchunk: Unbelievable Things
Sunvolt: Drown
EMF: Unbelievable

9 Comments:

Blogger GiL said...

i dont know why but that love spit love song
always moves me.

it reminds me of lazy afternoons in high school i guess.

len, new radicals and letters to cleo are good one hit wonders. thanks for the tracks

and the memories.

7:38 PM  
Blogger alphab0t said...

umm...it's Son Volt.
otherwise, great selection.

12:53 AM  
Blogger supergurg said...

you are a lifesaver! ive been searching for that Len song for like 6 years! :)

thanks so much,
Gurg

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, the Jeff Buckley track is just classic. In my top 5 songs of all time.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous wes said...

ha! yessss thanks for the EMF track and the Len song brings me back :)

12:18 AM  
Anonymous dan said...

all of those songs (ok, not all of them) but a lot of those songs are great.

I still listen to Blue on a daily basis. Maybe its because I wonder out loud to where my friends have gone.

and it kinda broke my heart that jeff buckley would fall into the same box as EMF and len. not cool. seriously not cool.

10:37 AM  
Blogger indie don't dance said...

I would like to point out that just because an album made it into the box does not mean that the album was a) bad, b) embarassing, or c) not worth listening to. People move. Things get packed into boxes. Boxes end up in mom's basement. Boxes get found. CDs resurface and are played again. It's the circle of life, Simba. The circle of life.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

viva la revolucion!

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a new eve isk player has just entered EVE spend, their first month of life is important. First of all, realize the eve online isk is useful to the each new player. You only play with others and buy isk can get happy from the game. After learned at the Eve world, you may found the cheap eve isk. However, buy eve online isk can also save a lot your time.

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home