Friday, February 24, 2006

Great Day












I haven't had the chance to celebrate properly, but I found out last week that I was accepted into the University of Wisconsin-Madison's doctoral program in English. That's pretty hot stuff. So, today I had a "me day" and did a bunch of stuff that makes me feel good to be alive, good to be in New York, and good to be a prospective Wisconsin grad student. To that end, I had an overpriced lunch at Whole Foods, fed my coffee addiction at Ninth Street Espresso (my latest favorite coffee house in the city), and got lost in the Strand Bookstore. I felt very scholarly.

I also celebrated by (re)listening to some tunes that are currently rotating non-stop on iTunes. Here are some for you to enjoy at your leisure.

Madvillain: Great Day (Four Tet Remix)
Mainly because today was a great day, but also MF Doom has an amazing flow on this track. Four Tet did a fabulous job remixing "Great Day." It sounds so easy. So laid back. So great.... even if everything MF Doom's rapping about isn't so great.

Ciaran Flynn: Girl Living in New York City
Many thanks go to my new Last.fm friend smansmith (who uses real names nowadays?). He recommended Irish folk singer Ciaran Flynn to me just the other day, and now this song is quickly becoming a favorite. Maybe it's because "Girl Living in New York City" sums up how I feel about Manhattan in less than two minutes.

Jens Lekman: Maple Leaves
Jens Lekman makes me smile. I like how his easy, lounge-y voice trips over the layered beats and sampled tracks. Plus, the lyrics are simple and beautiful. "If you don't take my hand, I'll lose my mind completely..." Come on. How can you resist? This song has made its rounds throughout the blogosphere; however, I think it's meant to be enjoyed many times over.

Harlem Shakes: A Night
I think this song is pure shake your indie bum. It's catchy and infectious, and raw.

I'm going to cap off my day of celebration by eating tons of (Wisconsin) cheese at the French bistro Artisanal and (finally) seeing the Undisputed Heavyweights at Piano's.

If I see you there, we should toast to Wisconsin!

9 Comments:

Anonymous dan said...

mazel tov!!!

Although I would be happier if you were going to michigan, I am sure Madison has some cool stuff too.

great work and the best part is the you know you won't be on longfellow next year.

10:19 PM  
Blogger gp said...

On wisconsin!

Congrats on your impending Bucky-ness, and thanks for that Madvillain Remix. If you're a burger-eater, check the Plaza off of state street. Classic Wisconsin-style joint.

10:05 AM  
Blogger indie don't dance said...

Thanks, Dan and GP.

You know, Dan, Michigan would never work out. My heart beats scarlet and gray. It's just how things are.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Madison is a fine town, and the University's English department is a really warm place. Congratulations!

And while you're getting your burger on, don't forget about B-side Records on State St.

5:05 PM  
Blogger heather said...

thank you for telling me about your nice day! it made me happy. congrats on your acceptance!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

nice to meet you on friday, albeit brief! hope you enjoyed the heavyweights show as much as i did :)

11:43 AM  
Blogger indie don't dance said...

Thanks for the congrats you guys!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats nikki...
just read this. you'll have a great time in the great midwest; good people, good music.

finian

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to choose a suitable target in cable and the cabal online alz? You should compensate him by giving him some cabal alz, and then Pvp or PK. Normal monsters; you have to lure a handful of monsters with cabal gold so that switching between them can be easier. There are many benefits to guild in cabal money. When you buy cabal alz, it is not still deal high amounts of damage.

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home