Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Yes, Dan. You should like Tapes 'n Tapes.

hi.

some questions for you: - tapes n tapes: that good? worthy of the hype? please let me know about their live show.

dan


This post is belated and the various New York area shows have been covered extensively. However, I did want to add my collective voice to the chorus: Yes, Tapes 'n Tapes is that good.

I went to the Tapes 'n Tapes show at Mercury Lounge and could not keep the smile off my face. When Tapes 'n Tapes started playing, I wasn't sold at first. The guys next to me left after the first song after announcing that "these guys suck." However, the band had so much energy and, in turn, it translated to the audience. Rachel compares hearing Tapes 'n Tapes to hearing Wolf Parade for the first time. I think that it is fair to say that one should expect the unexpected when you listen to Tapes 'n Tapes. Don't try to pigeon hole them or compare them to another band. Just embrace the fact you are listening to something quirky, different, and amazing.

Besides, everyone who knows me well, knows that I want nothing more than to be a tamborine player in a band. I thought Robbie Guertin from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah was my tamborine man, I think Matt Kretzmann from Tapes 'n Tapes might have replaced him.

Another definite highlight from the show at the Mercury Lounge was Finian McKean. He's lovely in his tall gangliness and played a great set. When you listen to him live, you almost forget that it is just him and his drummer Patrick Brennan. Their sound is suprisingly rich and complex, which is sometimes not the case when there are only two musicians on stage.

Download some Finian McKean mp3's here courtesy of Yeti Don't Dance.

If you're in the New York area, you can catch Finian McKean (and Patrick) at Sunny's in Red Hook, Brooklyn on Friday, January 13th at 10pm. I know no trains go to Red Hook, but it's definitely worth the trek.

Odds and ends...
I'm glad that many of you are checking out Letting Up Despite Great Faults. See, I wouldn't steer you astray. If anyone saw the show on Monday, I would love to hear about it.

If You're Here Today

7 Comments:

Anonymous dan said...

my life in complete.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous dan said...

i am in idiot. I meant my life IS complete.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous dan said...

I honestly don't know what is wrong with my typing today. I am Typo McGoo. It is probably just that I am overwhelmed by the attention I am getting now that I am the subject of my own very post at Indie Dont Dance. As I tried to say before, my life is complete. And yes, I am still an idiot.

oh - and I didnt go to the show on Monday. Sorry. I know you are super into them. They are not tickling anything of mine. Maybe a couple more tries, but I just dont know.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

yay tapes 'n tapes! have i mentioned i really really like them? ;)

keep missing you at these shows, one of us needs to wear a sign.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous bryan said...

oooh yeah finian is so good. nice that people finally seem to be starting to hear him more.

still haven't even listened to tapes n tapes yet. am i a bad music fan?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Hector Savage said...

Is that SON-OF-JANDEK on bass?

Man, I don't get Tapes 'n' Tapes one bit. Yawn...

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a new eve isk player has just entered EVE spend, their first month of life is important. First of all, realize the eve online isk is useful to the each new player. You only play with others and buy isk can get happy from the game. After learned at the Eve world, you may found the cheap eve isk. However, buy eve online isk can also save a lot your time.

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home