"We're teachers! We sing your songs!"
We missed the first opener, but showed up in time for Laura Viers. She was an endearing mix of awkward nerdiness and sweetness. She played a set of really wonderful songs that really showed off her guitar playing and charming voice. I have to admit that I was impressed with how she looped her voice and layered them during her songs. However, the woman behind me totally missed the point and complained that she "didn't pay this much money to watch someone sing over a CD." Umm... no. No, you didn't.
- On Colin Meloy's race: "He's white, right? He's white? OK, peach. He's definitely peach, right? Is he peach?"
- On our conduct during the show: "Did you scream when you saw him? Did you scream, 'We're teachers! We sing your songs!'?"
- On Colin Meloy's appearance: "Did he need a hair cut?"
- On Colin Meloy's talent: "How can he play a 12-string guitar if he only has five fingers?"
- On Colin Meloy's intellect: "Maya Angelou is a writer not a ship. Someone should tell him."
- On showing Colin Meloy our affection: "Can we sing to Mr. Meloy one day? Can we sing July, July! to him?"