Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I Like The Like

Last night at The Mercury Lounge I saw the LA-based band The Like. These three ladies played an awesome set and I have to say that I am definitely in like. Drummer Tennessee Thomas played these beats that were on one hand really simple, but on another totally smart and powerful. Z Berg's vocals reminded me a lot of an edgier Harriet Wheeler from The Sundays. Her voice is playful and dreamy, but you know not to mess with her because she could kick your butt. In short, I think Z Berg has a ounce of Debbie Harry in her. Bassist Charlotte Froom's voice compliments Z Berg's nicely and she carried the songs with decent bass lines. The Like's professionalism and ease on stage belie their age. I don't think they have even met the ripe, old age of 20 yet.

And did I mention that Elvis Costello was at the show?

Their full-length album Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking comes out on September 13th. so until then you can buy their EP's from their website. In the meantime, you can download the track "What I Say and What I Mean" courtesy of Gorilla vs. Bear.

What I Say and What I Mean (mp3)

For good measure, here's a track from The Sundays:
Goodbye (mp3) ...savefile link...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home