Monday, August 22, 2005

Good readers write good songs about good books.

I'm an elementary school teacher, so I've been on a long and much needed summer vacation. August is coming to a close, which means school is starting up again soon. In order to keep my job, I have to refocus my efforts on organzing book bins instead of chatting about music. However, I thought I would post my current obsession: The Decemberists covering Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights." My friend's mom was a huge Kate Bush fan, so I remember her playing this song on rainy Saturdays. When I heard Petra Haden sing this song live at Irving Plaza, it honestly took my breath away. Kate Bush is great, but Petra really does this song justice. I think I even like it more than the original.

The Decemberists: Wuthering Heights (mp3)

Also, You Ain't No Picasso has The Decemberists and Death Cab for Cutie covering "You Can Go Your Own Way."

So, I will sort out my library while Catherine pines for Heathcliff. And who knows: maybe one of my students will be inspired to write a song about Wilbur's love for Charlotte.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mallie said...

Now that would be a great song! Best of luck getting geared back up for the school year. - Mallie

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Jerry said...

yeah, when petra sang that at irving, my heart melted.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! just found your blog by a link at swedesonly... seems nice! much nicer than my blog here which i recently started, theepoweroftwee. greetings from sweden // artémij

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clumsy as i am at times... i just noticed it was http://theepoweroftwee.blogsome.com and not blogspot.com

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home