Thursday, August 11, 2005

Doveman

My friend just bought me Doveman's new LP The Acrobat, and I am in love.

From a Time Out New York review: We're intrigued by Doveman, whose frontman, Thomas Bartlett, often sounds as if he's on the brink of passing out from heartache fumes. And you can hear every second of what he's going through as the songs' arrangements take a backseat to his voice. Fans of Belle and Sebastian should prick up their ears.

I'm a sucker for those emotional, I-wear-my-heart-on-my-sleeve types, and Doveman does not disappoint. That's not to say the music is whiny. It's just beautiful melodic music that's not afraid to cry.

If you visit Doveman's website, there are many mp3's available for download. I provided direct links to some of my favorites, but you should definitely check out the other tracks. One highlight is the cover of Mazzy Star's "Fade into You." (Don't you remember listening to that wonderfully depressing song on repeat and driving your parents crazy? Was that just me?)

When you're done perusing the website, buy The Acrobat, and then go see a show:

8/22: Gothamist's Movable Hype 4.0 at the Knitting Factory (NYC)
8/30: Mercury Lounge (NYC)
9/13: Tonic (NYC)

The Acrobat:
Teacup (mp3)
Honey (mp3)

Steffani Birthday EP:
Fade into You (mp3)

Demo Tracks:
Secret (mp3)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense, but when I first heard Doveman, I really thought it was a joke. Nobody could be that precious, that "sensitive", without some sense of irony. But no, apparantly, Doveman is serious. Shucks! You know, chord changes are your friends, so use them....effects are also your friends, but don't use so many! Hey, good luck to you, I mean it.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home